Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Addison Fox: The Beauty of Fall

I know I’ve written about it in previous blog posts, but I am endlessly fascinated by how much of my life falls into rhythm with the seasons. While certainly the weather and available daylight hours have a considerable impact on our days, I find that each season truly has a special rhythm all its own.

For me, fall is my most productive window of the year, while also being my busiest. Nearly half my immediate family has a birthday in the fall so there are parties and presents, trips and plans all coming to fruition this time of year (sadly, we don’t all live in driving distance.) I also find that my personal productivity just seems to spike this time of year. Whether it’s the amount of things I’m juggling or just a personal love of the season, fall is my “Energizer bunny” time!

This often translates directly to my work as well. I’m amazed how often the weather and seasons find its way into my story, both as setting details as well as a driver of the story. A hot, humid summer day generates a specific set of images, where as a cold, blustery winter afternoon lends another. My characters are as driven by the world around them and being able to imagine those details – and how they impact my story – are essential.

As another benefit, I often find writing about a cold winter’s day while battling the dog days of summer in real life is a natural cooling agent, while thinking of hot summer days in the midst of a February freeze can work in reverse!

What about you? As we enter into fall – or spring in the southern hemisphere – are there things you’re looking forward to about the season?

Thanks for joining me today!
XO,
Addison



Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in New York and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. Her next two releases will be out in November. AT LAST, the first in her Brooklyn Brotherhood contemporary series, will be out from St. Martin’s Swerve. And her 2-in-1 with Karen Whiddon, A HUNTER UNDER THE MISTLETOE, will arrive from Harlequin Nocturne. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com 

No comments: