Pages

Friday, September 02, 2016

Susan Sands: Meet the New Family Member

I've gotten my middle son off to college. In his rare texts to me, he's communicated a sentence or two that he's "fine," and things are going well and that there isn't much to report otherwise. So, instead of sleeping in his room and sniffing his sheets, and wailing about where the time has gone--I went out and got a new puppy. Because I have absolutely nothing else to do...
Watson

His name is Watson, and he's a 16 week old Golden Doodle who was returned to the breeder for being "stubborn." The good news is he's already house-trained and hasn't had any accidents inside. Unfortunately, his goal seems to be chewing his way through everything I own, including the wooden legs on the furniture and baseboards. Yes, I do have bones, balls, and enough toys to sink a battleship.  He likes those too, but wood is delicious, don't you know?

Anyway, our Boudreaux needed a friend since sweet Liza Jane passed last year. Boudreaux is busy humping the puppy and convincing him who is top dog. Constantly. I'm hoping this stage will pass quickly. :-/

In my last book, Love, Alabama, I wrote in a Golden Retriever/Lab mix named Big Al, whose purpose in life was to liberate the squeaker from every toy he met as quickly as possible with as much stuffing spread as far and wide as possible. I believe I cursed myself as I was writing.
Today's Carnage Thus Far

But, as you can see, he's a beauty, and as long as I don't have to clean up the really nasty stuff, I'm ahead of the game. Plus, it keeps me from sniffing sheets, which is pathetic. My independent two-legged boy is happy and healthy, and independent, and I couldn't be more thrilled. But I do miss him.

As summer ends, I'm refocused on finishing my third Alabama novel. I can't wait to see it in print! I doubt that thrill will ever end.

Have a wonderful week!


Susan

No comments: